"A sortie is a sudden issuing of troops from a defensive position, often through hidden tunnels, to attack approaching troops or siege weaponry."
- Engineers hide in specially constructed holes and jump out when siege weapons are near. They do tremendous damage to them. Place your engineer traps where enemies are likely to deploy their siege weapons.
- Engineer Traps hold saboteurs who attack and quickly destroy siege units. They can attack indefinitely if not killed. Unlike other traps, these ones have a range instead of existing for a set period of time.
- As any siege unit will trigger an engineer trap, one valid strategy is to send a battering ram through an area to trigger engineer traps before deploying more valuable siege units like trebuchets.
- Cavalry is effective at destroying saboteurs if deployed quickly before they have a chance to destroy your siege units. Longbowmen will also auto-target saboteurs if they are within range and not targeting something else.
- Joan of Arc can convert saboteurs with her ability. While they aren't very useful as attackers, this method can prevent them from destroying your siege units if you have no other troops to quickly stop them.
- Charles Martel or the decoy created by Raise the Colors can be used to taunt engineers away from their preferred siege targets.
- Upgrade them!
- Close to the keep.
- Outside the castle.
- Near important wall segments or unprotected wall segments.
|Level||Health||Attack||DPS||Upgrade Cost||Upgrade Time||Age Required|
|Economy||Farm • Silo • Mill • Lumberyard • Quarry • Storehouse • Cathedral • Road|
|Fortification||Archer Tower • Crossbow Tower • Ballista Tower • Flame Tower • Musket Tower • Catapult Emplacement • Trebuchet Emplacement • Watch Signal • Guard House • Patrol Point • Caltrops • Engineer Trap • Fire Trap • Wall|
|Military||Army Camp • Barracks • Cultural Barracks • Stable • Hall of Heroes • Embassy • Archery Range • Siege Workshop • University|
|Other Buildings||Keep • Honor|